Amanda-Users

tuning dumpcycle, runspercycle, and tapecycle

2005-02-13 12:13:36
Subject: tuning dumpcycle, runspercycle, and tapecycle
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:02:30 -0800 (PST)
Greetings. For backups to a server with one DLT-IV drive, I would like to change the tape once per week. During the week, I would like to do one full backup on day 1, and incremental backups on days 2-5.

To do this, I set "dumpcycle 1 week" and "runspercycle 5" and "tapecycle 1 tapes". However, in the dump reports, I get this message every dump, even on the incremental days:

planner: tapecycle (1) <= runspercycle (5)
  planner: Full dump of hostname.networktest.com:/ promoted from 6 days
ahead.

This sounds like amanda does a full dump each time. True?

If so, what is the correct config for one full dump plus four incremental dumps?

This is for 2.4.4p4_2 on FreeBSD 4.10.

Thanks!

dn