Amanda-Users

Re: How do I control tapedrive compression?

2005-02-13 02:54:50
Subject: Re: How do I control tapedrive compression?
From: Shai Ayal <shaia AT biocontrol.co DOT il>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 09:35:18 +0200

Jon LaBadie wrote:
On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:07:50AM +0200, Shai Ayal wrote:

define tapetype DLTVS160 {
  comment "DLT VS160 tape drive"
  length 74529 mbytes         # 72.78 Gb
  filemark 584 kbytes
  speed 2203 kbytes           # 2.15 Mb/s
}

So my tape is configures with it's uncompressed length. The backups seem to be working as expected, but how to make sure there is no hardware compression ?

I suspect that when you get things sorted out that the amtapetype command
suggested by Paul B in another response will report a higher capacity.
I'm guessing the above tapetype definition may have been made by a "tapetype"
command run with hardware compression turned on.

I ran amtapetype and indeed I have now:

define tapetype QUANTUM-DLTVS160 {
   comment "just produced by tapetype prog (hardware compression off)"
   length 80064 mbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 7490 kps
}

Which adds 5Gb to tapelength and more than a 3-fold increase to the speed. I am
trying to submit this to the hardware FAQ.

Shai

--
Shai Ayal, Ph.D.
Head of Research