Amanda-Users

Re: tuning dumpcycle, runspercycle, and tapecycle

2005-02-13 18:30:37
Subject: Re: tuning dumpcycle, runspercycle, and tapecycle
From: David Newman <dnewman AT networktest DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:20:14 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Sunday 13 February 2005 12:02, David Newman wrote:
Greetings. For backups to a server with one DLT-IV drive, I would
like to change the tape once per week. During the week, I would
like to do one full backup on day 1, and incremental backups on
days 2-5.

To do this, I set "dumpcycle 1 week" and "runspercycle 5" and
"tapecycle 1 tapes". However, in the dump reports, I get this
message every dump, even on the incremental days:

Tapecycle is the number of tapes in the inventory that can be re-used.
For you, the minimum would be at least 10.

planner: tapecycle (1) <= runspercycle (5)
  planner: Full dump of hostname.networktest.com:/ promoted from 6
days ahead.

This sounds like amanda does a full dump each time. True?

Yes, because it thinks its over-writing the last full level 0 with
each new backup.

This isn't so good; again, I'm looking for one full dump and four incremental dumps on each tape. (FWIW, the server in question is at a remote location and we can't get to it every day.)

Jon LaBadie's post on the Amanda top 10 list suggests that Amanda is not the right tool for this. Is there some way to do this using Amanda?

If not, any recommendations for alternatives?

thanks

dn