Amanda-Users

Re: mounting/identifying a new tape drive

2005-02-03 12:52:11
Subject: Re: mounting/identifying a new tape drive
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:47:34 -0500
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 11:53:36AM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Solaris 9 box and we bought a new tape drive model Certance LTO-2.
> Currently, I am trying to identify the tape drive using amtapetype command
> but it does not work.
>

> Let me go a step back and describe what I did so far.
> I connected the new tape drive to our Solaris 9 server and I restarted
> Solaris.
> #iostat -En
> and received the following output regarding the tape drive:
> # rmt/0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
> # Vendor: CERTANCE Product: ULTRIUM 2        Revision: 1703 Serial No:
> 5150-400
>
> Finally, I want to run the amtapetype to identify the tape type definition
> but was enable to do so!

JHL GENERAL RULE #1

Never, Never touch amanda commands until your hardware works with system
commands!

Make sure you can use things like mt, dd, tar, ufsdump, cat, mtx, ... with your
drive/changer before adding the added complexity of the amanda layer.

> When I typed:
> #amtapetype: /dev/rmt
> I received the following error message:
> #amtapetype: /dev/rmt: rewinding tape: Inappropriate ioctl for device

On Solaris, /dev/rmt is a directory, so clearly tape commands are inappropriate.

> When I typed:
> # amtapetype: /dev/rmt/0
> OR
> #amtapetype -f /dev/rst13
> OR
> #amtapetype -f /dev/nrst13
> The output is :
> # amtapetype: could not open /dev/nst13: No such file or directory

And I presume the /dev/rmt directory is empty?

> Any idea why I am getting those error messages and whether I miss a step in
> defining a new tape drive, or any command that describe where the new tape
> drive is mounted?

For a tape drive to work on Solaris there must be an appropriate entry
in the st (Scsi Tape) driver configuration file /kernel/drv/st.conf.
On my Solaris 9 system (x86, but it should not matter) there are no
entries for 'certance' or for 'ultrium 2' drives.  Sometimes I've
installed drives that had instructions to edit the file to add
driver configuration information for the new drive.  Your's didn't?
Was it listed by the vendor as Solaris supported?

I'm assuming that your new drive is the only drive on the system.
If that is a bad assumption, don't do the following.

Remove all the symbolic link entries in /dev/rmt and we will recreate
them if the system can configure the driver for your tapedrive.

  rm -f /dev/rmt/*
  devfsadm -c tape

If the directory /dev/rmt is still empty, the system doesn't know how
to work with your tape drive and there is nothing amanda can do about it.
You have to get it working with the system first.

If the above failed, you may also get a "driver failed to attach" if you
run the command "devfsadm -i st".  I.e., the st driver could not find a
device it could work with.

> This is propably a silly question but I am stuck so any help is welcome...

You did follow the Certance installation instructions for Solaris OS right?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)