Amanda-Users

Re: mounting/identifying a new tape drive

2005-02-03 16:13:18
Subject: Re: mounting/identifying a new tape drive
From: Eric Siegerman <erics AT telepres DOT com>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:02:35 -0500
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 03:02:36PM -0500, Gil Naveh wrote:
> but I don't think it identified the new tape drive...
> >mt -f /dev/rmt/0n
> I got:
> >/dev/rmt/0n: no tape loaded or drive offline

On the contrary, I think that means your devfsadm command *did*
work.  You're now getting a tape-specific error message, instead
of a generic one; that means the system now understands that
/dev/rmt/0n is in fact a tape drive.

So, taking the message at face value ... Was there a tape loaded?
Was the drive online?

--

|  | /\
|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics AT telepres DOT com
|  |  /
The animal that coils in a circle is the serpent; that's why so
many cults and myths of the serpent exist, because it's hard to
represent the return of the sun by the coiling of a hippopotamus.
        - Umberto Eco, "Foucault's Pendulum"