Amanda-Users

Re: Removing unwanted dumps.

2005-01-31 13:18:08
Subject: Re: Removing unwanted dumps.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:11:48 -0500
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:45:14PM -0500, Eric Siegerman wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:17:18PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > I can't see anything that would cause problems if you delete
> > [unneeded dumps that are still in holding disk].
> > Others may.
>
> The curinfo database will still think the dumps exist, won't it?
> That might confuse amrecover until the dumps in question have
> been superceded by newer ones (i.e. at same or lower dump level).
> Then again, maybe these particular dumps have already been
> superceded -- maybe that's why they're unneeded in the first
> place.

I too assumed that "unneeded" meant there are likely more recent
ones available that the ones targeted for deletion.

The curinfo db has very little info that would make a difference.
As to particular dumps, things like date, size, level are only
kept for the most recent at each level.  The other info is things
like the compression rate and dump rate of the last three runs.
And those would still be valid for planning.

> How long would it take for this discrepancy to clear itself up?
> (I know the answer for dumps that *have* been taped -- until the
> tape gets overwritten one tapecycle hence.  How does it work for
> untaped dumps like these?)

Assuming at least the most recent level 0 and subsequent
incrementals, I don't see any curinfo discrepancy.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)