Amanda-Users

Re: Removing unwanted dumps.

2005-01-31 16:41:54
Subject: Re: Removing unwanted dumps.
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:33:20 -0500
On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:54:57PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2005 13:38, Eric Siegerman wrote:
> >On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 01:11:48PM -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> >> The curinfo db has very little info that would make a difference.
> >> As to particular dumps, things like date, size, level are only
> >> kept for the most recent at each level.
> >
> >I misspoke.  I should have said, "curinfo + indexes + any other
> >info that Amanda keeps around".  What you say applies to curinfo
> >itself, but what about the rest?  If nothing else, those index
> >files will take up some space; will they ever be deleted, or will
> >they hang around forever?
> >
> No, they'll be deleted as they age out of revelance by amanda.

As I recall amanda knows a dump is still on the holding disk and
can do amrecovers from there.  Might have been an added feature
over the last year or two.

When a tape is removed with amrmtape, the indexes for that tape
are removed.

I wonder when, or even if, amanda ever realizes something that
it believes is on the holding disk is no longer there.  And can
the cleanup be triggered with something analogous to amrmtape.
Does amcleanup do any of these things?  Guess I could look it
up (RTM jon) but I'm too lazy and not concerned.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)