Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda server crashed!!!

2005-01-31 13:14:24
Subject: Re: Amanda server crashed!!!
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:03:39 -0500
On Monday 31 January 2005 12:20, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:11:06PM -0500, Kevin Alford wrote:
>> This is the error I receive.
>>
>> [root@lightning /class_saa/restore]# mt -f /dev/rmt1.1 rewind
>> [root@lightning /class_saa/restore]# mt -f /dev/rmt1.1 fsf 1
>> [root@lightning /class_saa/restore]# dd if=/dev/rmt1.1 bs=32k
>> skip=1 | /usr/bin/gzip -dc | /usr/sbin/restore -f... -
>
>                                          ^^^
>
>Is this literally what you typed?
>It looks like it from the messages below.

Is not the - sign by itself, to tell restore that its to take from
stdin sufficient?

Frankly, that elipsis thing should be removed from the files header as
its very confusing even to an old hand, although my qualification as
an old hand might be my age more than the number of years onboard the
amanda ship.  Likewise, the use of pipes really should be deprecated
IMO since tar at least has had the -xzf option which calls gzip to
unpack it since forever, or maybe even longer.  Dump, for the various
filesystems might be another color of horse though.

>> Please mount volume 1 on ....
>>         Press the Enter key to continue.
>> restore: 0511-158 Cannot open ...: A file or directory in the path
>> name does not exist.
>> Please mount volume 1 on ....
>>         Press the Enter key to continue.
>> restore: 0511-158 Cannot open ...: A file or directory in the path
>> name does not exist.
>> Please mount volume 1 on ....
>>         Press the Enter key to continue.
>> restore: 0511-158 Cannot open ...: A file or directory in the path
>> name does not exist.
>
>Generally an elipsis ("...") means
>"and anything else you might need here".
>It is not meant to be typed literally.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: