Amanda-Users

Re: Reiserfs?

2005-01-26 10:00:15
Subject: Re: Reiserfs?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:51:33 +0100
Jon LaBadie wrote:

It has been a couple of years since I looked at tar,
but IIRC two things that give a return code of 2 are
   "file changed as we backed it up"
   "file disappeared after we made the list of what to backup"

These conditions are common on active file systems.
Both cause the error message
   "error exit delayed from previous errors"

which is a return code of 2.

Consulting sources of gnutar 1.13.25:
"file changed..." would set exit(2) but is neutralized
when given the --ignore-failed-read option to tar.

Sources of gnutar 1.15.1:
"file changed...." is never triggering an exit-code different
from zero  (but warning is printed nevertheless).
"file shrank ..." however still needs --ignore-failed-read flag
to be neutralized.

The "file disappeared..." is diagnosed as
"Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory", and that
one neither sets a exitcode different from zero (in 1.13.25
and 1.15.1).

The "error exit delayed" situation can be set to be considered
"normal" in sendbackup-gnutar.c or it and a few others ignored
by defining "IGNORE_TAR_ERRORS" in amanda.h.

Amanda does pass the --ignore-failed-read option, and thus you
normally should not need to compile with IGNORE_TAR_ERRORS defined.
The last one classifies the printed warnings as "normal" instead
of "strange" and suppresses the STRANGE section in the amanda report.
And maybe it would ignore other more serious errors too?

Conclusion: the /bin/tar used is not version 1.13.25 or 1.15.1.