Amanda-Users

Re: Reiserfs?

2005-01-26 05:33:20
Subject: Re: Reiserfs?
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Nick Danger <nick AT hackermonkey DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:24:57 +0100
Nick Danger wrote:

Thanks for the help with the previous problem, I have it backing up all the non reiserfs partitions just fine now.

How do I get it to back up reiserfs partitions? I tried root-tar, and comp-root-tar in disklist and neither worked.

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
 tesla.hack / lev 0 FAILED [/bin/tar returned 2]
 tesla.hack / lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]

I believe this has nothing (or very little) to do with tar.
Tar is signaling some error (exit code 2 usualy means some important
error, resulting in the output not being what you expect from tar).

You'll have to find out why tar gives gives this error.
It could be a file system inconsistency (and thus indeed related
to reiserfs), or just a bad spot on disk (and then you have also
problems with reiserfs v3, which does not have bad block relocation
built in, afaik).

Are there more error messsages in the debug file on the client:
/tmp/amanda/sendbackup.<datetimestamp>.debug
Or try running tar by hand (you'll find the exact command in
one of those debug files too), and piping the output through cat:
  gtar --<most-options-as-invoked-by-amanda> . | cat > /dev/null

(The trick with "cat >/dev/null" is need to avoid gtar taking
shortcuts when noticing the output is directed to /dev/null by
some command line.)

Im showing dump error messages in the debug logs. Do I need options in amanda.conf to make it use tar instead of dump?

What do you mean by "dump" error?  from the dump program or from
tar?  The above  message strongly indicates you're using /bin/tar
already.  Be certain, it is a good version:  gtar 1.13.19, 1.13.25
or 1.15.1 is good, but not 1.13, 1.13.9x, 1.14.xx which all have
some deficiencies that will bite you now or later.  (I believe
1.15.1  was reported as ok, but personally I'm still on 1.13.25.)