Amanda-Users

Re: Reiserfs?

2005-01-26 09:06:46
Subject: Re: Reiserfs?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:51:19 -0500
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 11:24:57AM +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
> Nick Danger wrote:
> >
> >Thanks for the help with the previous problem, I have it backing up all
> >the non reiserfs partitions just fine now.
> >
> >How do I get it to back up reiserfs partitions? I tried root-tar, and
> >comp-root-tar  in disklist and neither worked.
> >
> >FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> > tesla.hack / lev 0 FAILED [/bin/tar returned 2]
> > tesla.hack / lev 0 FAILED [dump to tape failed]
>
> I believe this has nothing (or very little) to do with tar.
> Tar is signaling some error (exit code 2 usualy means some important
> error, resulting in the output not being what you expect from tar).
>
> You'll have to find out why tar gives gives this error.

It has been a couple of years since I looked at tar,
but IIRC two things that give a return code of 2 are
   "file changed as we backed it up"
   "file disappeared after we made the list of what to backup"

These conditions are common on active file systems.
Both cause the error message
   "error exit delayed from previous errors"

which is a return code of 2.

The "error exit delayed" situation can be set to be considered
"normal" in sendbackup-gnutar.c or it and a few others ignored
by defining "IGNORE_TAR_ERRORS" in amanda.h.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)