Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data

2005-01-07 14:07:20
Subject: Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:54:55 -0500
On Friday 07 January 2005 13:20, Brian Cuttler wrote:
>Gene,
>
>> Humm, are you saying that amlabel works and can read the label
>> written, but that dd doesn't/cannot?  Back to 'man dd' as it
>> exists on that Irix system would be my next suggestion.
>
>Remembering that I'd set the blocksize on the device and relabeled
>yesterday I tried this.
>
>samar 160# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 rewind
>samar 161# dd of=/dev/sdlt2 bs=32k if=./scratch
>1+0 records in
>1+0 records out
>
>Which worked fine.

And got you how big a scratch file?

>I then tried to re-write the label with dd
>
>samar 170# dd of=/dev/sdlt2 obs=32k if=./scratch
>64+0 records in
>1+0 records out

And were you then able to reread it ok?  To me, theres something a bit
odd about dd telling you it wrote 64 input records to one output
record.  OTOH, I haven't fooled with dd that much recently since I'm
using a big hard drive now.

>"bs" block size, "obs" outpub BS, (there is an IBS also, which I
>am afraid of developing should this not resolve soon)
>
>Actually the xfsrestore file is a link to the executable in the
> /usr/sbin directory. It does make sense, after a fashion (why not a
> link for the xfsdump executable as well).
>
>> >samar 126# which xfsrestore
>> >/sbin/xfsrestore
>> >samar 127# which xfsdump
>> >/usr/sbin/xfsdump
>
>I'm now going to attempt to run amdump with a much shorter disklist
>and see if I can't get a rational result on this tape.
>
>---
>   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org
>   Computer Systems Support        (v) 518 486-1697
>   Wadsworth Center                (f) 518 473-6384
>   NYS Department of Health        Help Desk 518 473-0773

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: