Amanda-Users

Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data

2005-01-07 11:28:54
Subject: Re: amrestore problem, headers ok but no data
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:17:21 -0500
Gene,
Eric,

Following Gene's model, I set the default block size on the tape
devices (sgi command # mt -f /dev/rmt/tps1d4nrns devblksz 32768)
and also switched from the varable length to the fixed length tape
device, used amlabel to relabel the tape (not what Gene indicated).

Oddly trying to dd if=/dev/rmt/tps... read no data

samar 85# mt -f /dev/rmt/tps1d4nrns rewind
samar 86# dd if=/dev/rmt/tps1d4nrns of=scratch
Read error: Invalid argument
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

However, I ran amdump last night. Still having problems with TAR DLE
though oddly I was able to see that a DUMP DLE attempted to write.

I was able to retrieve the file, using both amrestore and Eric's
suggestion of manually issuing the dd command to get the file from
tape. I was able to open the dump file (DLE for /usr1) and saw that
the file "kmitra" was present. This I thought to be good news since
the only top level file on the partition is kmitra/ (note directlry
slash). Unfortuantely xfsdump reported the file as a regular file
and not a directory and I was unable to proceed from there.

I've tried to retrieve several of the TAR DLE but have been unsuccessful
with either method.

On the issue of streaming the drive vs horsepower. We have a holding
disk (unlike a few early runs of this config) and we seem to dump to
tape quickly enough once the dumper portion completes. I don't know that
we are polishing the tape.

Something very basic is wrong, looks like the 15th config is the
unlucky one.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 05:31:36PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 30 December 2004 14:55, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >Gene,
> >Stefan,
> >
> >* I'm gonna remove a lot of text from the middle of this.
> >
> >On Wednesday 29 December 2004 16:29, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> >## Amanda    2.4.4p1-20030716
> >## SGI/IRIX  6.5.19m
> >## mtx       1.3.8
> >## 8 Slot jukebox with SDLT 320 (Quantum)
> >## gnutar    1.13.25
> >##
> >## I'm planning to dump 2-3 times per week but have been starting
> > the ## process manually (via the # at command) and have seen dumps
> > in only ## 50 hours, down from hundreds when I initially started
> > the server up. ##
> >## By all accounts everything is working properly, some tuning is
> > still ## in order but there are no apparent errors. Or where not
> > until I ##  tried to test the file restore process.
> >##
> >## I am able to "see" the DLEs on tape but I'm unable to retried any
> >##  data, either from the dump or the tar partitions.
> >##
> >## samar 144# mt -f /dev/sdlt2 rewind
> >## samar 145# /usr/local/sbin/amrestore /dev/sdlt2 samar
> > /usr5/dtaylor ## amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date
> > 20041227 label SAMAR23 ## amrestore:   1: skipping
> > samar._usr1.20041227.1
> >## amrestore:   2: skipping samar._usr5_lalor.20041227.1
> >## amrestore:   3: skipping samar._usr5_amanda.20041227.0
> >## amrestore:   4: restoring samar._usr5_dtaylor.20041227.1
> >## amrestore: read error: I/O error
> >##
> >## gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
> >##
> >##
> >## I am able to use amrestore with the "-r" option which results in
> >## files like this
> >##
> >##
> >## samar 77# more samar._usr5_lalor.20041227.1
> >## AMANDA: FILE 20041227 samar /usr5/lalor lev 1 comp .gz program
> >##  /usr/local/sbin/gnutar To restore, position tape at start of
> > file ##  and run:
> >##         dd if=<tape##  bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/sbin/gzip -dc |
> >##  usr/local/sbin/gnutar -f... -
> >##
> >##
> >## where the rest of the file is empty. I should be more explicite.
> >##
> >## samar 82# ls -las samar._usr5_lalor.20041227.1
> >##   64 -rw-r-----   1 root sys 32768 Dec 29 15:36
> >##  samar._usr5_lalor.20041227.1
> >##
> >## samar 79# cat -evt samar._usr5_lalor.20041227.1 | head
> >## AMANDA: FILE 20041227 samar /usr5/lalor lev 1 comp .gz program
> >##  /usr/local/sbin/g nutar$
> >## To restore, position tape at start of file and run:$
> >## ^Idd if=<tape##  bs=32k skip=1 | /usr/sbin/gzip -dc |
> >##  usr/local/sbin/gnutar -f... -$
> >## ^L$
> >##
> [...]
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org