Amanda-Users

Re: Setting up Amanda on Redhat with hp Autoloader help

2004-11-17 19:04:40
Subject: Re: Setting up Amanda on Redhat with hp Autoloader help
From: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq AT spacepants DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:57:00 +1100
This one time, at band camp, Zadikem, Travis-taz wrote:
>Has anyone successfully setup and has running Amanda on Redhat 9.x with an
>HP Autoloader (24x6 or 40x6).  If so, can you please send me the configs. I
>can't
>seem to get mine working properly and we would like to use it for backing up
>our repository if possible.  Also, any starter manuals and such would be
>very very helpful.

Assuming it's a SCSI device, plug it in and make sure it's properly
terminated.  If you know the SCSI IDs of the device, you can tell the kernel
about it with

  echo "scsi add-single-device x x x x" > /proc/scsi/scsi

where the xs are replaced by the device, channel, id, and lun of the
autoloader.  Theres usually two devices in the robot, the tape device and
the changer device.  I found it was easier just to reboot the server, that
way all ther devices were found straight away.

On my machine, the robot appears as /dev/sg0 for the changer and /dev/nst1
for the tape device, check what yours are with dmesg and cat /proc/scsi/scsi
.  One will appear as a "Medium Changer" or similar, and the other as
"Sequential Access".

Use "mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry" to look at the devices, too.

To configure AMANDA, all I did was read the top of chg-zd-mtx in the lib
directory, and follow those instructions to build the changer configuration.
In amanda.conf, all I have is:

tapedev "/dev/nst1"
changerdev "/dev/sg0"
tpchanger "chg-zd-mtx"
changerfile "/etc/amanda/anchor/changer"

The changerfile, changer.conf, looks like this:

firstslot=1
lastslot=8
driveslot=0
cleanslot=-1
autoclean=0
havereader=0
offline_before_unload=0

but follow the instructions in chg-zd-mtx to get that set up for yourself if
you get this far.