Amanda-Users

Re: I/O Error

2004-11-17 23:16:40
Subject: Re: I/O Error
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:57:37 -0500
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 01:53:00PM -0300, Fabricio Luiz Machado wrote:
> Hi guys.
> I got an I/O error while trying to recover data from a tape with
> amrecover or amrestore.
> There is another way or command to recover my precious data ?
>
> ps.: This "my precious" reminds me Gollum... ;-)

Start by trying to get the tape file corresponding to the DLE you
want by using a combination of mt to position the tape at the start
of the file and dd to put the tape file off, onto the hard disk.

If you encounter I/O errors there, then work on the hardware problems.
Clean the heads, use a different drive, or consider the possiblity
that they were written badly.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)