Amanda-Users

Got a bug, what can I do?

2004-11-17 15:17:18
Subject: Got a bug, what can I do?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 15:03:00 -0500
Greetings;

I have found what I believe is a bug in amrestore, as it is used for
an amverify run.

Last night I set everything up for generating what should be a
pristine vtape.  When I awoke, amrestore was hung on the last file of
the archive, and / was full.

I found many gigabytes of files from all the aborted runs of amverify
that had failed previously still sitting in /tmp/amanda.  Cleaning
that out brought my 30GB / partition back to the 9% used position it
normally has maintained for quite a while.

Then I fired upo a fresh run of "amverify Daily 1 1" since that was
the vtape written last night.  This was about 11 AM.  Its still
going, the shell says it has looked at the last file written this
morning:
Checked coyote._usr_man.20041117.1

There is an "info" file in the parent Dailys directory, just a few
bytes long saying "position 53", that is being touched/updated at
minute or less intervals.  That "data" directory pointers contents do
NOT have a 53rd file, the 52nd file group is:

-rw-------  1 amanda disk         10 Nov 17 03:02 00052-TAPEEND
-rw-------  1 amanda disk      32768 Nov 17 03:02 00052.TAPEEND

So obviously amrestore has gone off to lala land for an extended
vacation, not even seeing the disk full error in its quest to fill
up /tmp to the bursting point.  Its at 35% filled and climbing so I'm
doing a ctl-c on the shell that started it.

Humm, THIS time, a ctl-c not only gave me the Aborted message, and a
slight pause, it also did a super good job of cleaning up after
itself, / is now reported to be only 6% filled!

I'm now building the 20041116 snapshot of 2.4.5b1. If still troubled
I'll back up a snapshot at a time till it works again and report
back.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: