Amanda-Users

Re: Is there any problem with filesystem ext3

2004-11-16 17:47:52
Subject: Re: Is there any problem with filesystem ext3
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Mutt Users <mutt-users AT mutt DOT org>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:40:29 -0600
--On Tuesday, November 16, 2004 22:36:40 +0100 Sören Edzen <soren AT edzen DOT
org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I can make backups of /etc and /usr/local/cvsroot but when I try to
> make backups of katalogs in my home-dir it doesn't work. I get the
> following when I run amcheck:
>
> [snip]
> ERROR: zampo: [could not access /usr/home/soredz/Mail
> (/usr/home/soredz/Mail): No such file or +directory]
> [/snip]
>
> One difference I can see is that both /etc and /usr is in a reiserfs
> file system but /home is in a ext3 file system. Could this be the
> cause of this error? If not, what could then be the cause.
> I'd really appreciate hel? on this matter.

Is /usr/home/soredz/Mail its own DLE or is it a subdirectory of a DLE?
Also, what is your dumptype for that DLE?  If dump, then it is filesystem-
specific and a reiserfs dump won't work on ext3 and vice versa.  Also, many
dumps only work on entire partitions and not subdirectories.
   If you are using tar, then its probably a permissions problem.  Is runtar
setuid (and owned) appropriately (i.e., did you remember to run 'make install'
as root)?

Frank