Amanda-Users

Re: I/O Error

2004-11-16 17:56:10
Subject: Re: I/O Error
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Fabricio Luiz Machado <soproman AT yahoo.com DOT br>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:48:19 -0500
On Tuesday 16 November 2004 11:53, Fabricio Luiz Machado wrote:
>Hi guys.
>I got an I/O error while trying to recover data from a tape with
>amrecover or amrestore.
>There is another way or command to recover my precious data ?
>
>ps.: This "my precious" reminds me Gollum... ;-)
>
>thanks in advance,
>
>Fabricio.

Yes, look in the indices to see where the last level 0 is for the
stuff you need to recover.  Put that tape in the drive.

Rewind the tape with mt & check it with an mt status to make sure its
ONLINE and BOT.

do: cd someplace where you have the tapes contents worth of scratchpad
space to fill up with the below operations.

do: dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32768 count=1

It should spit out the tapes label block to your shells screen.

do: dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32768 count=1

It should spit out the instructions and syntax required to recover the
first file on the tape

do that

do: dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32768 count=1

It should spit out the instructions to read the next file

do that

repeat as required till you have read what you needed, or hit the
tapes EOT.  Put the next tape in and repeat until you are uptodate.
Copy data back to original location.

Yes, its time consuming, but it works, I've done it a couple of times
now.  You might need to change the device if your tape isn't
on /dev/nst0, but make sure you are using a non-rewinding device
as /dev/nst0 is.  On linux, its a 99% probability that its /dev/nst0.

If you feel really confident, you could cd to the directory that data
came from in the first place, and just let tar overwrite whats there.
But I sure wouldn't do it the first time I tried it, Murphy is alive
and well you know.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: