Amanda-Users

Re: Is there any problem with filesystem ext3

2004-11-17 05:48:19
Subject: Re: Is there any problem with filesystem ext3
From: Sören Edzen <soren AT edzen DOT org>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:38:27 +0100
* Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com> [2004-11-16 23:50]:
> --On Tuesday, November 16, 2004 22:36:40 +0100 Sören Edzen
> <soren AT edzen DOT org> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I can make backups of /etc and /usr/local/cvsroot but when I try
> > to make backups of katalogs in my home-dir it doesn't work. I
> > get the following when I run amcheck:
> >
> > [snip] ERROR: zampo: [could not access /usr/home/soredz/Mail
> > (/usr/home/soredz/Mail): No such file or +directory] [/snip]
> >
> > One difference I can see is that both /etc and /usr is in a
> > reiserfs file system but /home is in a ext3 file system. Could
> > this be the cause of this error? If not, what could then be the
> > cause. I'd really appreciate hel? on this matter.
>
> Is /usr/home/soredz/Mail its own DLE or is it a subdirectory of a
> DLE? Also, what is your dumptype for that DLE?  If dump, then it
> is filesystem- specific and a reiserfs dump won't work on ext3 and
> vice versa.  Also, many dumps only work on entire partitions and
> not subdirectories. If you are using tar, then its probably a
> permissions problem.  Is runtar setuid (and owned) appropriately
> (i.e., did you remember to run 'make install' as root)?
>
> Frank

Hi! I have to apologize. I feel a bit silly, it wasn't until I saw
it in your answer that I realised that the path was wrong. It's not
/usr/home... the right path is /home... I'll change the path and try
again. Thanks anyhow. It helped me see where the problem was.

--
Sören Edzen, Sjöfartsgatan 22A, 97437 Luleå, Sweden
Phone: 0920-255133, Cell: 070-6531975