Amanda-Users

Re: Chg-disk question

2004-11-03 07:27:03
Subject: Re: Chg-disk question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Griffiths, Alan" <Alan.Griffiths AT colt-telecom DOT com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:20:14 -0400
On Wednesday 03 November 2004 04:43, Griffiths, Alan wrote:
>That's how I thought it worked, but
>
>amtape <config> show

IIRC this reports only that which has been labeled and is in the
tapelist.

>never shows more than tapecycle slots in the changer. So as far I
> can see there is no way to reference slot tapecycle+1, tapecycle+2
> etc. For example,
>
>amtape <config> label <tapecycle+1>
>
>Returns
>
>amtape: could not find label <tapecycle+1> in tape rack.
>
>Even though a vtape with that label exists. If I extend tapecycle so
> that new_tapecycle=old_tapecycle+1 then the previous command will
> correctly load the specified tape.
>
>Am I missing something?

It sounds as if you will have to extend the tapecycle after having
marked a current vtape as no-reuse.  Or, rather than marking it
no-reuse and going to all that folderol, since its just a dir on that
partition, just rename it out of the current slotnn nameing scheme.
Frankly, amanda doesn't make this part brain dead easy, and probably
for a good reason.

I think, rather than involve amanda in it I'd do it all by hand by
just renameing that slot to foo.save, mkdir a new slotnn, and  copy
the first 00000-labelnn carrying file over from the foo.save dir to
the new slotnn directory, and the TAPE_END_file too but rename the
000nn-TAPEEND to 00001-TAPEEND as you copy it.  I *think* this will
fool amanda into thinking its empty and can be used when its turn
comes up, but please don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't quite
work. :)

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: