Amanda-Users

Re: Chg-disk question

2004-11-02 20:45:49
Subject: Re: Chg-disk question
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: "Griffiths, Alan" <Alan.Griffiths AT colt-telecom DOT com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 21:34:34 -0400
On Tuesday 02 November 2004 06:26, Griffiths, Alan wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can anyone explain how chg-disk works? I'm a bit confused. As I
> understand it the number of slots in the vchanger is determined by
> the tapecycle option. This means that if I remove a tape from the
> cycle with amadmin no-reuse there will be insufficient tapes in the
> cycle. However, I sometimes need to take certain 'tapes' out of the
> cycle for a bit. Is this possible using chg-disk?
>
>Cheers,

I don't really know Alan, I've not taken a vtape out of circulation.
I would imagine that creating a new one (if there is space left on the
device to do that) would put your other vars back into some semblance
of sanity though. Here, I'ms till playing with the dumpcycle and
runtapes trying to keep from overflowing a 178GB partition on a 200GB
drive.  The rest of it is swap and /var.  I've been downloading the
FC3RC5 iso's (or whatever the latest RC is, I'll probably do an rsync
on it yet tonight again), so I've been overloading amanda's tolerance
for new data when I do it in 2.5GB pieces :-)

Actually, those that you would want to keep, probably should be copied
out of the vtape array, either to a real tape, or to another location
on a hard drive that can be removed and stored.  For truely archival,
as in say 5-7 years for tax records or such, I'd copy it to tape, and
take the tape to offsite storage.  If its that important, treat it
right.  For me, its more recovery convienience than in any legal
requirement, I'm just a home hacker and general all around JOAT, now
at 70, & semi-retired.

>Alan Griffiths
>Test & Integration Engineer
>Business Systems Services
>P: +44 (0)20 7947 1407
>M: +44 (0)7813 303532
>F: +44 (0)20 7947 1035
>E: alan.griffiths AT colt-telecom DOT com

>***************** COLT Telecommunications
>Registered in England No. 2452736
>Registered Office: Beaufort House, 15 St. Botolph Street, London,
> EC3A 7QN Tel. +44 20 7390 3900
>

>This message is subject to and does not create or vary any
> contractual relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its
> subsidiaries or affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet
> communications are not secure and therefore COLT does not accept
> legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any view or
> opinions expressed are those of the author. The message is intended
> for the addressee only and its contents and any attached files are
> strictly confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> telephone the number above. Thank you.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: