Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda Using Tar on Large File System

2004-08-13 09:30:32
Subject: Re: Amanda Using Tar on Large File System
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Don Clary <dclary AT gwdi DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:26:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 at 6:12am, Don Clary wrote

> I have been trying to use Amanda to backup a large Linux file system that is
> bigger than my tape capacity.  I have broken the file system up into bite
> size tar backups.  Two examples are listed below with the error messages
> that I get back from amcheck.
>
> 1.  Everything but the directories that I have separate .tar configs for.
>
> hsadm2 /home/nobig /home {
> # all directories except the following
> comp-root-tar
> exclude "./umsv4"
> exclude "./cvs*"
> exclude "./linux.mry"
> exclude "./shared"
> } 1

>From the amanda(8) man page:

             With  the append keyword, the string are appended to the current
              value of the list, without it, the string overwrite the list.

In other words, you must do 'exclude append' after the first exclude.

> WARNING: hsadm2:/home/nobig does not support multiple exclude
> ERROR: hsadm2:/home/nobig (/home): selfcheck does not support device.
> ERROR: hsadm2:/home/nobig (/home): sendsize does not support device.
> ERROR: hsadm2:/home/nobig (/home): sendbackup does not support device.

You also have to make sure there's a relatively recent version of amanda
on hsadm2.  I don't know when this support showed up -- why not upgrade to
2.4.4p3 (the most recent)?

> WARNING: hsadm2:/home/samba-share does not support include file
> ERROR: hsadm2:/home/samba-share (/home): selfcheck does not support device.
> ERROR: hsadm2:/home/samba-share (/home): sendsize does not support device.
> ERROR: hsadm2:/home/samba-share (/home): sendbackup does not support device.

Include support is relatively recent too.

Fix your multiple excludes and upgrade to 2.4.4p3, and all should be well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering