Amanda-Users

Amanda Using Tar on Large File System

2004-08-13 09:19:55
Subject: Amanda Using Tar on Large File System
From: "Don Clary" <dclary AT gwdi DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 06:12:27 -0700
Hi,

I have been trying to use Amanda to backup a large Linux file system that is
bigger than my tape capacity.  I have broken the file system up into bite
size tar backups.  Two examples are listed below with the error messages
that I get back from amcheck.

1.  Everything but the directories that I have separate .tar configs for.

hsadm2 /home/nobig /home {
# all directories except the following
comp-root-tar
exclude "./umsv4"
exclude "./cvs*"
exclude "./linux.mry"
exclude "./shared"
} 1

WARNING: hsadm2:/home/nobig does not support multiple exclude
ERROR: hsadm2:/home/nobig (/home): selfcheck does not support device.
ERROR: hsadm2:/home/nobig (/home): sendsize does not support device.
ERROR: hsadm2:/home/nobig (/home): sendbackup does not support device.

2.  One of the separate .tar configs.  There is a separate entry like this
one for each of the excluded directories above.

hsadm2 /home/samba-share /home {
comp-root-tar
include "./shared"
} 1

WARNING: hsadm2:/home/samba-share does not support include file
ERROR: hsadm2:/home/samba-share (/home): selfcheck does not support device.
ERROR: hsadm2:/home/samba-share (/home): sendsize does not support device.
ERROR: hsadm2:/home/samba-share (/home): sendbackup does not support device.

My Amanda server (Amanda 2.4.3) with tape drive (32 GB Sony AITi90-A) is a
Linux 9 machine.  'hsadm2' is a Linux 7.1 machine.

Can anyone point out how I need to change the amanda config file to correct
these .tar backups?

Thank you,

Don Clary