Amanda-Users

Re: AMANDA Documentation at www.oops.co.at (SGI Irix additions)

2004-08-04 22:17:06
Subject: Re: AMANDA Documentation at www.oops.co.at (SGI Irix additions)
From: Luc Lalonde <Luc.Lalonde AT polymtl DOT ca>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:09:33 -0400
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for the enormous work that you've done putting together this document.

I've to some Irix (6.5.x) notes:

1) If you use a jukebox, you must set the ownership of the robot-changer device to the Amanda operator:group in "/etc/ioperms". Here's my configure:

/etc/ioperms: /dev/scsi/sc8d6l0 0600 amanda backup

Otherwise the ownership:group is changed to root:sys after each reboot.

2) When you do upgrades, check the file /var/sysgen/master.d/scsi to see if it has changed. Otherwise your jukebox could be rendered unuseable. In particular, check if it has been replaced by a new version and renamed to 'scsi.O'.

If you use the Amanda package provided by freeware.sgi.com, you are not affected by the first question since at compile time the Amanda operator is root:sys.

Bye.

Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Hello, amanda-users,

about one month has gone now, since I put a pre-release of "The
Official AMANDA Documentation" online at
http://www.oops.co.at/AMANDA-docs/index.html

This was just meant as a ground for discussion (for
amanda-core-members), but it seems to hit the needs of several more
people:

The hits at www.oops.co.at have risen since then, and still rise.

No problem with that, just some thoughts:

- The current info is just equivalent to the infos in the (in some
parts outdated and incorrect :-( ) AMANDA-docs.

- The current formatting is far from being complete, there is much
potential for improvement (think XML-tags, indexing, ...)

Given the fact that I am more than busy with other
documentation-related tasks I just want to tell all of you that:

- every kind of correction is welcome.
- every kind of addition is welcome.

Feel free to express your thoughts, I will try the best to transform
your input into contributions to AMANDA.

best regards,
Stefan G. Weichinger

--
Luc Lalonde, analyste