Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover hangs: bzip issue?

2004-08-04 21:22:19
Subject: Re: amrecover hangs: bzip issue?
From: Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com>
To: Amanda List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:14:27 -0700
Ok, well I found the problem.. the broken pipe in the log file was me ctrl-c ing amrecover because it was taking way too long. What I found out was happening was that my actual backup file on the tape was 144 GB, so tar was taking forever to go through the tar file to find the actual file needed for the recover (all in all about 4 hours). I guess i need to figure out how to chunk things up a bit better.
-Kris

On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 15:31, Frank Smith wrote:
--On Wednesday, August 04, 2004 15:06:13 -0700 Kris Vassallo <kris AT linuxcertified DOT com> wrote:

> So looking into some logs I see a problem that looks like its whats
> causing everything to break.
> Inside of the log amidxtaped.20040804140128.debug, I am seeing some gzip
> errors. I have included a snippet of the log below which includes the
> error towards the bottom. Anyone know whats going on!?
>
> amidxtaped: time 0.000: Ready to execv amrestore with:
> path = /usr/sbin/amrestore
> argv[0] = "amrestore"
> argv[1] = "-h"
> argv[2] = "-p"
> argv[3] = "file:/backup/amandadumps/tape01"
> argv[4] = "^venus.berkeley-da.com$"
> argv[5] = "^/home$"
> argv[6] = "20040728"
> amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20040728 label DailySet101
> amrestore:   1: skipping bda2.berkeley-da.com._var_ www.20040728.1
> <http://www.20040728.1>
> amrestore:   2: skipping bda1.berkeley-da.com._home.20040728.2
> amrestore:   3: restoring venus.berkeley-da.com._home.20040728.0
>
> gzip: stdout: Connection reset by peer
> Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 2063728640+32768, wrote 0

Looks like something bombed when it hit 2GB, perhaps something in the
chain is not largefile aware?

I did hit a post on google that said although Sun claimed that bzip2 in
Solaris 8 was largefile aware, it actually wasn't, and they needed to
install a newer bzip2.  Try doing some testing with tar and bzip2 and
see if they can both handle files > 2GB.

Frank