Amanda-Users

Re: Amrecover

2004-05-31 10:56:17
Subject: Re: Amrecover
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 10:53:46 -0400
On Monday 31 May 2004 09:14, Marcelo Leão Caffaro wrote:
>Hi all
>
>tks to my list friends to help-me with amanda :)
>
>the amanda working fine !!!
>
>But, i have one question
>
>the amanda can make backup in windows servers wirh samba ok?
>
>what is the differ in make backupcin one server running samba
> mounting this server in mnt/nameofserver and make backup this
> partition on put in disklist the name of the server and your share?

The biggest problem is that samba, like almost any windows/ms
compatible app, does not handle the atime on the file, so amanda gets
garbage in that bit of the files descriptor.  So doing backups with
samba as the transport agent tends to do fulls 99% of the time when
it means to do an incremental.  This is a windows/ms problem, not an
amanda problem.

>tks
>Marcelo

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)