Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover not seeing/displaying all files?

2004-02-14 02:10:03
Subject: Re: amrecover not seeing/displaying all files?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>, Amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:06:47 -0600
--On Friday, February 13, 2004 22:48:36 -0600 Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab
DOT edu> wrote:

> I have figured out the problem.  The index for this problem filesystem (/www)
> has 99.9999999% of its entries preceeded by a string of numbers, like:
>
> 10010135161/./www/httpd/htdocs/info/mrmsd/cgi-bin/source.C_mainly.d/c/backup/1997102919_nph-sss.c.gz
> 10010134067/./sol8/pack.d/netscape_patches/108528-16/FJSVhea/reloc/usr/platform/sun4us/include/sys/machcpuvar.h
>
> then is has a very few lines that look normal, like:
>
> /www/httpd/htdocs/info/faculty/reilly/mrmsd/cgi-bin/source.C_mainly.d/c/backup/1997102919_nph-sss.c.gz
>
> Only the normal lines are showing up.  Two questions:
>
> What is prepending this string of numbers and why?  Wrong version of tar on
> the Solaris box perhaps?  *looks*  tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25

Yes, the leading numbers are a symptom of a broken version of tar.
However,  1.13.25 should be a working version.  Look in your
/tmp/amanda/*.debug files on the client and see the full path of
tar that Amanda was configured with.  I suspect that you may have
two different versions of tar on the box and Amanda is using a
broken one.

> If I were to take the index file, make a copy, strip the numbers and /./ out
> of the copy, and put it in place, would that work?  (Writing some perl to
> find out, so this is somewhat of a rhetorical question. :-)

I don't think that works (or at least it didn't when I tried it a
few years ago).  I recall havng to use amrestore to extract the
image and untar it somewhere, then manually dig through it to find
the files you want.  You can then script renaming the directory
tree once you figure out which numbers correspond to which directory.
  Fortunately I didn't have to do that as I was just needing a few
files from one subdirectory.

Good luck,
Frank