Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover not seeing/displaying all files?

2004-02-13 17:37:44
Subject: Re: amrecover not seeing/displaying all files?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab DOT edu>, Amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:35:49 -0600
--On Friday, February 13, 2004 16:13:10 -0600 Fran Fabrizio <fran AT cis.uab
DOT edu> wrote:

> I am trying to restore a file from my web document root.  This is an area
> that's been very static (except for today when I blew on top of something I
> shouldn't have :-)  I went to run amrecover, and it's only showing files that
> have changed recently.
> For example:
>
> /www
>    /htdocs
>      /staticarea
>        /news
>      /studentpages
>        /joeuser
>
> Ok, so my disklist is set to backup /www.  None of these are symlinks or
> anything out of the ordinary.  So I run amrecover, and starting at /www, what
> I see is...
>
> amrecover> ls
> 2004-02-13 htdocs/
> amrecover> cd htdocs
> /www/htdocs
> amrecover> ls
> 2004-02-13 studentpages/
> amrecover> cd studentpages
> /www/htdocs/studentpages
> amrecover> ls
> 2004-02-13 joeuser/
> /www/htdocs/studentpages/joeuser
> amrecover> ls
> 2004-02-13 filejoeuserchangedrecently.html
> amrecover>
>
> Am I not understanding how amrecover works?  Shouldn't I be seeing all the
> files in that area?  I want to restore /www/htdocs/staticarea/news/page.html,
> how do I go about this?

You should be seeing all the files as of the last backup.  I think
it defaults to today if you don't use setdate.  Perhaps the missing
files were deleted before the last backup.  If so, just use setdate to

> Am I having a stupid Friday afternoon moment, or is this messed up?  Did my
> index get hosed or something?

If you know the files were still there during the last backup, perhaps
your index files are corrupt (most likely due to a bad [ < 1.13.19 ?]
version of tar).  Look at your index files on the server for that client
and see if there are big numbers in front of the paths.  If so, it is
the tar problem.  You can still restore the files, it will just take
extra work (a lot of it if you have a large directory tree) to rename
all the directories after the restore.
   If the index files look ok, something else is going on.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Systems Administrator                           Voice: 512-374-4673