Amanda-Users

RE: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?

2004-02-06 13:23:59
Subject: RE: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Michael Kahle <michael.kahle AT scc-wi DOT com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:21:42 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 at 11:56am, Michael Kahle wrote

> Sorry if I was not clear here.  The server itself is/has a fqdn.  e.g.
> fs.internal.com.  This is also properly registered with my DNS server.
>
> What I am referring to here is in the .amandahosts file, it contains the
> line (by default):
> localhost backup

amcheck will tell you, once the client is accepting the incoming amanda
connection, if the .amandahosts entry isn't right, and the error message
will let you know what form it wants.

Don't use localhost anywhere, especially the disklist.

> Will the client look to identify the client in the same way that, say my
> host.allow file does?  Or does amanda use some other mechanism to
> send/verify this information to amanda.

Amanda uses gethostbyname() to do the lookups.

It's a lot easier for us to debug this if you tell us what errors you're
getting when you run amcheck on the server, and send any relevant logfiles
or debug files from /tmp/amanda.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering