Amanda-Users

RE: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?

2004-02-06 15:41:26
Subject: RE: How does the amanda server identify itself to clients?
From: Michael Kahle <michael.kahle AT scc-wi DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:26:41 -0600
To spare you all the pain of reading Outlook formatted mail, this
message has been hand formatted using a text editor. Hope it
works.  :)

On Friday, February 06, 2004 12:28 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> Hi, Michael,
> on Freitag, 06. Februar 2004 at 19:13 you wrote to amanda-users:
> MK> I will go compile now... and weep.
>
> Why weep? Take the chance and build exactly the binaries YOU need
> for your site.

I will weep because my faith in Debian has just been challenged, not
because I must compile.  :)

> Try editing .amandahosts first ...

Tried that, didn't help.  As Joshua Baker-LePain pointed out in his
email to me, it would probably help you all to help me if I would
provide more details.  I.e. logs, configs, etc.  But I do not wish to
pursue this any further.  I am in the process of building Amanda for
my server from source.  Then the clients and I will retry.  It just
doesn't make sense to try and get this working from .deb's and .rpm's.

> That the debian-maintainer builds packages with localhost shows that
> he does not know about the problems he triggers.
>
> And this is not the fault of AMANDA.

True.  I don't see how he has much of a choice.  You MUST compile for
the machine currently.  His way will basically work fine for a local
machine backup running everything in Amanda, but not much use for
network backups.

> The discussion about the hard coded stuff is an old one.

How old?  You would think this would be a fairly high priority fix for
newer versions.

> As you have all the config-structures (directories and such)
> already, it won't be too much effort to install your own binaries.

Agreed.

Michael