Amanda-Users

Re: amrecovering extremely slow

2004-02-06 11:36:23
Subject: Re: amrecovering extremely slow
From: "R.M. Evers" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:25:49 +0100
On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 17:14, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> I'm assuming you were recovering something from /home.
>
> Yes I think the entire dump file would have to be passed to the
> client for extraction.  It is nice that you are using similar OS's
> and backup programs (probably gnutar) on both tapeserver and client.
>
> But suppose your tapeserver were say linux on an Intel processor
> and the client were an HP-UX system, using vxdump/vxrestore, on
> an HP PA-RISC processor.  There is no way the tapeserver could run
> the restore program, it has to send the dump image to the client
> that has the extraction program.

Jon & Stefan, thank you so much for your fast replies and clearing this
up for me. Indeed I always use Linux and tar, forgetting some people
actually use other stuff :-) Shame on me. From now on I will just
recover my backups on the backupserver itself, and then transfer it to
my workstation. Lot faster (and probably safer) that way.

Thanks again.

-Rodi.