Amanda-Users

amrecovering extremely slow

2004-02-06 10:42:54
Subject: amrecovering extremely slow
From: "R.M. Evers" <amanda AT hbh-it DOT nl>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:40:09 +0100
amanda-users,

after the last problem in my setup (the chg-disk not working, now
working fine :-)), i've run into another one. although i don't know
whether it's really a problem.

i've done the following:

1.- used my brand spanking new amanda backupserver (amanda-2.4.4p2,
    self-compiled) to create a backup of server1 (amanda-2.4.2p2,
    debian/stable-packaged) using the file: driver. this went fine.

2.- tried to amrecover from the backupserver itself. although the
    extract-phase sometimes paused for a bit, this also went fine.

3.- tried to amrecover from workstation1 (amanda-2.4.4p2,
    self-compiled), and this went verrrrry sloooowww...

what happened is this. i started the amrecover (-s backupserver -t
backupserver) session to the backupserver. set the host, disk, added a
homedir, set the tape to chg-disk (my 'amrecover_changer') and then hit
extract. then the directory-structure came in. but after that, i had to
wait a looooooooooooooooong time for the actual files to come in (really
really long). and during this time, i had a LOT of network traffic
between my backupserver and my workstation (i mean like 850kB/s
continuously for 5-10 minutes). it's almost as if the whole /home was
sent to my workstation or something. is this normal behaviour, or does
anybody recognize it? or have i possibly compiled or ./configure'd
amanda completely wrong?

thanks & regards,
-rodi.