Amanda-Users

Re: amrecovering extremely slow

2004-02-06 11:15:32
Subject: Re: amrecovering extremely slow
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 17:04:12 +0100
Hi, Rodi,

on Freitag, 06. Februar 2004 at 16:40 you wrote to amanda-users:

RME> what happened is this. i started the amrecover (-s backupserver -t
RME> backupserver) session to the backupserver. set the host, disk, added a
RME> homedir, set the tape to chg-disk (my 'amrecover_changer') and then hit
RME> extract. then the directory-structure came in. but after that, i had to
RME> wait a looooooooooooooooong time for the actual files to come in (really
RME> really long). and during this time, i had a LOT of network traffic
RME> between my backupserver and my workstation (i mean like 850kB/s
RME> continuously for 5-10 minutes). it's almost as if the whole /home was
RME> sent to my workstation or something. is this normal behaviour, or does
RME> anybody recognize it? or have i possibly compiled or ./configure'd
RME> amanda completely wrong?

I don't know exactly but I assume that this is standard behavior.

Your amrecover-binary on the client gets in the large tar-file which
contains your files-to-recover.

This tar-file is searched for the files and if those files are
somewhere in the middle of the tarfile, this takes time and netusage,
as it is done over the network.

Seems logical to me, but maybe I am wrong.

Is the actual recovery slow, too?
How long does it take from when amrecover lists the first file it
finds in the archive until all files are there?

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger