Amanda-Users

Re: amrecovering extremely slow

2004-02-06 11:15:48
Subject: Re: amrecovering extremely slow
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: Amanda-Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:14:03 -0500
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 04:40:09PM +0100, R.M. Evers wrote:
> amanda-users,
>
> after the last problem in my setup (the chg-disk not working, now
> working fine :-)), i've run into another one. although i don't know
> whether it's really a problem.
>
> i've done the following:
>
> 1.- used my brand spanking new amanda backupserver (amanda-2.4.4p2,
>     self-compiled) to create a backup of server1 (amanda-2.4.2p2,
>     debian/stable-packaged) using the file: driver. this went fine.
>
> 2.- tried to amrecover from the backupserver itself. although the
>     extract-phase sometimes paused for a bit, this also went fine.
>
> 3.- tried to amrecover from workstation1 (amanda-2.4.4p2,
>     self-compiled), and this went verrrrry sloooowww...
>
> what happened is this. i started the amrecover (-s backupserver -t
> backupserver) session to the backupserver. set the host, disk, added a
> homedir, set the tape to chg-disk (my 'amrecover_changer') and then hit
> extract. then the directory-structure came in. but after that, i had to
> wait a looooooooooooooooong time for the actual files to come in (really
> really long). and during this time, i had a LOT of network traffic
> between my backupserver and my workstation (i mean like 850kB/s
> continuously for 5-10 minutes). it's almost as if the whole /home was
> sent to my workstation or something. is this normal behaviour, or does
> anybody recognize it? or have i possibly compiled or ./configure'd
> amanda completely wrong?

I'm assuming you were recovering something from /home.

Yes I think the entire dump file would have to be passed to the
client for extraction.  It is nice that you are using similar OS's
and backup programs (probably gnutar) on both tapeserver and client.

But suppose your tapeserver were say linux on an Intel processor
and the client were an HP-UX system, using vxdump/vxrestore, on
an HP PA-RISC processor.  There is no way the tapeserver could run
the restore program, it has to send the dump image to the client
that has the extraction program.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)