Amanda-Users

going from 1 tape to 2

2004-01-30 13:16:12
Subject: going from 1 tape to 2
From: Joel Coltoff <joel AT wmi DOT com>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:13:36 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

We've gotten to the point where Amanda now needs multiple tapes.
Our other systems crossed that point years ago. I've split the big
filesystem into two DLEs that I'll dump with tar. I've fixed the
amanda.conf file to account for all the new tapes and set tpchanger
to chg-manual. We are running 2.4.4p2.

I'm asking this question because I hate surprises. The existing tapes
are Daily001 ... Daily013. I've got 13 blank tapes to add to the pool.
I assume I need to label these myself. I'd like each dump to use
consecutive tapes (Daily001 & Daily002). I doubt this will happen. What
should I expect to see? In general how will I know which is the next
tape it wants? Do I get this from the report of the previous dump or
does the changer tell me which tape to insert? Are there any surprises
in store for me? I'm hoping this is a quick and easy change but I such
a beast is rare.

Thanks.

--
Joel Coltoff

It is appallingly obvious that our technology exceeds our humanity.
    -- Albert E. Einstein