Amanda-Users

Re: going from 1 tape to 2

2004-01-30 13:44:06
Subject: Re: going from 1 tape to 2
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:40:56 -0500
On Friday 30 January 2004 13:13, Joel Coltoff wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We've gotten to the point where Amanda now needs multiple tapes.
>Our other systems crossed that point years ago. I've split the big
>filesystem into two DLEs that I'll dump with tar. I've fixed the
>amanda.conf file to account for all the new tapes and set tpchanger
>to chg-manual. We are running 2.4.4p2.
>
>I'm asking this question because I hate surprises. The existing
> tapes are Daily001 ... Daily013. I've got 13 blank tapes to add to
> the pool. I assume I need to label these myself. I'd like each dump
> to use consecutive tapes (Daily001 & Daily002). I doubt this will
> happen. What should I expect to see? In general how will I know
> which is the next tape it wants? Do I get this from the report of
> the previous dump or does the changer tell me which tape to insert?
> Are there any surprises in store for me? I'm hoping this is a quick
> and easy change but I such a beast is rare.
>
>Thanks.

Yes, you'll have to label the tape using amlabel, see its man page.

Bear in mind that when using runtapes > 1 it helps quite a bit to
break the individual dle's down into manageable sized hunks of data
compared to the total tape size.  I use DDS2's here, and to help
amanda adjust her schedueling, I long ago tried to keep any one dle
under a gigabyte.  If I have iso images of a linux distro to keep,
each disks iso is a seperate entry in the disklist. When running
multiple tapes, when it hits EOT nad goes for the next tape, recall
it doesn't span the file, but restarts the failed file from byte 0.
You waste a lot more space with 3gig files(dle's) than with 700
meggers when this happens.

I suppose that since I now have dsl, and this stuff is much more
readily available, I really should take that stuff out of my
disklist.  Force of habit when I was on a #@()*^$# dialup I had to
call a surveyer to set stakes and measure the speed of. :-)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap,
ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: