Amanda-Users

Re: going from 1 tape to 2

2004-01-30 13:44:27
Subject: Re: going from 1 tape to 2
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:41:40 -0500
On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 01:13:36PM -0500, Joel Coltoff wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've gotten to the point where Amanda now needs multiple tapes.
> Our other systems crossed that point years ago. I've split the big
> filesystem into two DLEs that I'll dump with tar. I've fixed the
> amanda.conf file to account for all the new tapes and set tpchanger
> to chg-manual. We are running 2.4.4p2.
>
> I'm asking this question because I hate surprises. The existing tapes
> are Daily001 ... Daily013. I've got 13 blank tapes to add to the pool.
> I assume I need to label these myself. I'd like each dump to use
> consecutive tapes (Daily001 & Daily002). I doubt this will happen. What
> should I expect to see? In general how will I know which is the next
> tape it wants? Do I get this from the report of the previous dump or
> does the changer tell me which tape to insert? Are there any surprises
> in store for me? I'm hoping this is a quick and easy change but I such
> a beast is rare.

I have runtapes set to 2.  Note, that is the maximum number of tapes it
will use.  If the day's dump fits in one, that is all it uses.  But the
tape order does not change.

Here are the first two lines from my nightly report last evening:

        These dumps were to tape DS1-12.
        The next 2 tapes Amanda expects to used are: DS1-13, DS1-14.

amcheck has a similar set of lines.  so does amflush when you use it.

Yes, you do need to label the new tapes yourself, that is no different
than when amanda was setup.  It can't devine what labels you want.

One way to do the change over is to set runtapes to 2, maybe even 3 as
it will not use more than it needs, but do not reset your tapecycle parameter.
Leave it at 13, at least for now.

Then label your tapes.  amanda will always take a "new", properly labelled
tape, but if you increase the tapecycle parameter, it will insist on a new
one.  Then, assuming you label them 14 - 26, after tape 13 is used, start
feeding new tapes.  After all 13 new ones are in use, you can think about
changing tapecycle.

Or not.  I keep tapecycle a little lower than the number actually in use.
Then if one goes bad, it will use the next one in turn.

Should you want to keep all your current dumps for the total tapecycle,
think about labelling the new ones 1b to 13b.  Then when it asks for
tape 2 (after tape 1 has just been overwritten) feed it the new tape 1b.
Now you are going in pairs 1 and 1b, 2 and 2b, ...

Problem with that is the one day amanda only needs a single tape.  Then
your pairs are 3b and 4, 4b and 5, ...

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)