Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with amflush

2004-01-30 13:03:39
Subject: Re: Problem with amflush
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 12:59:28 -0500
On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 04:23:44PM +0100, Postaremczak Bernd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> my storage with amanda this night failed because there was a time-problem
> with two concurrent jobs. The dumps are there where they should be (in the
> dump-directory). Now I will run amflush, but it doesn't seem to work. The
> Process has maximum CPU-Usage, but there is no writing on tape.
>
> I have no idea where I can begin to search.
>
> The logfiles don't say anything for errors. amstatus says, that the dumper
> will work (see output below), but the process runs about 1 hour. Normally
> the writing to tape goes only 13 minutes, so he should hav been finished
> now.
>
> -bash-2.05b$ amstatus levap03-do
> Using /var/log/amanda/levap03-do/amflush
>

> SUMMARY          part     real estimated
>                           size      size
> partition       :   0
> estimated       :   0                  0k
> flush           :   0        0k
> failed          :   0                  0k           (  0.00%)
> wait for dumping:   0                  0k           (  0.00%)
> dumping to tape :   0                  0k           (  0.00%)
> dumping         :   0        0k        0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
> dumped          :   0        0k        0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
> wait for writing:   0        0k        0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
> wait to flush   :   0        0k        0k (100.00%) (  0.00%)
> writing to tape :   0        0k        0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
> failed to tape  :   0        0k        0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
> taped           :   0        0k        0k (  0.00%) (  0.00%)
> all dumpers active
> taper idle
>
> Or is there a misunderstanding in my point of view of working amflush?

That report suggests to me that there were no "partitions" to dump.

You noted it has been running for an hour.  When I run amflush,
there is an interactive Q&A session that, after I give the final
confirmation, shifts amflush to the background noting it will send
me a mail message when completed.  Is that what you saw too?
Did you get a mail message?  What were its contents?

Do you have things to flush?  amflush, during the Q&A, shows what
amdumps might be available for flushing.  If you go to the holding
disk, are there files for dumping there?

Do you think that you have something to flush because an amdump
report said (IIRC) "some dumps MAY have been left in the holding disk".
Note that "MAY", it is a key word.  There 'may not' have been anything
left either.  At the point amanda adds that info to the amdump report
it can't tell.

Did you run an amdump since the problem run?  I ask as there is an
"autoflush" option in amanda.conf that causes anything that needs
flushing to be flushed at the start of the next amdump run.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)