Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?

2004-01-22 10:53:14
Subject: Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:43:03 -0500
On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 04:19:38PM +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> First: thanks for all the people who answered my previous questions.
> Very much appreciated.
>
> I'm stuck (i.e. regardless of whether this makes sense, or no, sounds
> familiar?)
> with the following set of requirements:
>
> * 5 machines (it's good: 5 days/week, one overnight run/machine)
> * one full backup of all machines/month
> * four incremental backups/month, relative to above full dumps
> * two months sliding window, after which incremental backup tapes are reused
> * storage depth of one year
>
> So I'm going to use a tape/day, labeled DailyMachineWeekdayNumber,
> e.g. u03Monday01,u03Monday02, u03Monday03, u03Monday04. Is it possible to
> promote
> a full dump, say, Monday for u01, Tuesday for u02, etc., and store diffs
> relative
> to it?
>
> How do I do that?

With such a structured, non-amanda-like requirement,
what benefits do you feel you would experience from
using amanda?  It will not be doing the scheduling,
you will.  It will not specify the tapes to be used,
you will.  It will track the backups (what is on what
tape from what date), but you would know that already.

What are you looking for amanda to do for you that
you could not do with cron entries and shell scripts?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)