Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?

2004-01-22 10:53:27
Subject: Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
To: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:52:04 +0100
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Please don't do that.

In case I wasn't quite clear: This is not what I want to do.
This is what I *have* to do.

Again: I have to deal with people who want me to do insane
things. On a daily basis.

At least don't try to do that with AMANDA.

The question is: can I force amanda to do it?

AMANDA is NOT DESIGNED to do what you describe above.

AMANDA is designed to schedule your backups in a way to successfully
meet your goals.

You don't say: Do a full backup of DLE host/disk on Monday.
You say: I want at least one full backup of DLE host/disk in X days.

You must be lucky. You're living in a rational universe.

You could FORCE AMANDA into doing it the old way but it is like
tightening screws with a hammer. Not a good solution.

It doesn't matter. My days with the company are counted, largely because
I'm getting tired of incompetent people telling me how to do my job.

--

This is a topic that appears very often on the list.
You can browse the archives to find all the discussions ...

It's definitely a FAQ.

Also maybe consult: http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/28.html