Amanda-Users

suggestions for a backup scheme?

2004-01-22 10:22:44
Subject: suggestions for a backup scheme?
From: Eugen Leitl <el AT infochem DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:19:38 +0100
First: thanks for all the people who answered my previous questions.
Very much appreciated.

I'm stuck (i.e. regardless of whether this makes sense, or no, sounds familiar?)
with the following set of requirements:

* 5 machines (it's good: 5 days/week, one overnight run/machine)
* one full backup of all machines/month
* four incremental backups/month, relative to above full dumps
* two months sliding window, after which incremental backup tapes are reused
* storage depth of one year

So I'm going to use a tape/day, labeled DailyMachineWeekdayNumber,
e.g. u03Monday01,u03Monday02, u03Monday03, u03Monday04. Is it possible to
promote
a full dump, say, Monday for u01, Tuesday for u02, etc., and store diffs
relative
to it?

How do I do that?

TIA,