Amanda-Users

Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?

2004-01-22 10:44:36
Subject: Re: suggestions for a backup scheme?
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:42:38 +0100
Hi, Eugen,

on Donnerstag, 22. Jänner 2004 at 16:19 you wrote to amanda-users:

EL> I'm stuck (i.e. regardless of whether this makes sense, or no, sounds
familiar?)
EL> with the following set of requirements:

EL> * 5 machines (it's good: 5 days/week, one overnight run/machine)
EL> * one full backup of all machines/month
EL> * four incremental backups/month, relative to above full dumps
EL> * two months sliding window, after which incremental backup tapes are reused
EL> * storage depth of one year

EL> So I'm going to use a tape/day, labeled DailyMachineWeekdayNumber,
EL> e.g. u03Monday01,u03Monday02, u03Monday03, u03Monday04. Is it possible to
promote
EL> a full dump, say, Monday for u01, Tuesday for u02, etc., and store diffs
relative
EL> to it?

EL> How do I do that?

Please don't do that. At least don't try to do that with AMANDA.

AMANDA is NOT DESIGNED to do what you describe above.

AMANDA is designed to schedule your backups in a way to successfully
meet your goals.

You don't say: Do a full backup of DLE host/disk on Monday.
You say: I want at least one full backup of DLE host/disk in X days.

You could FORCE AMANDA into doing it the old way but it is like
tightening screws with a hammer. Not a good solution.

--

This is a topic that appears very often on the list.
You can browse the archives to find all the discussions ...

It's definitely a FAQ.

Also maybe consult: http://amanda.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/28.html

--
best regards,