Amanda-Users

Re: was: Re: Using amrestore - some help needed

2004-01-09 07:39:06
Subject: Re: was: Re: Using amrestore - some help needed
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Martin <ammail AT sebastian DOT nl>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:36:36 +0100
Martin wrote:

Paul Bijnens wrote:

One important point is that you need to REWIND the tape before starting
amrestore, or you need to MANUALLY position the tape to the beginning
of your backup image using commands like 'mt ... fsf 123'.
If using amanda 2.4.4 or later you may add "-f 123" to rewind and
skip forward automatically (using the correct number...)

I've been trying to do a manual restore as well, just in case an
amrecover/amrestore is not possible. Paul, you say that it is possible to
skip over backup images by using the fsf parameter. That's true, but is
there any way of determining WHERE a particular image is stored on tape? I
did a few dd grabs, but the images I get back don't really match any
definable order (disklist, email-output). Is there a way to (quickly) tell
what order the images are in?

$ amadmin daily find the.host /the/dir
date       host     disk         lv tape or file  file status
2003-12-09 the.host /the/dir     1  DAILY-18      40   OK

The options "-f fileno" and "-l label" were added as a convenience
for amrecover.  Jumping to the correct file with fsf is much faster on
some drives than reading and discarding the unwanted files.
But you may use them manually too.

If you lost the amanda database, then "amadmin find" will not work
of course.  That's why I also print out a postscript label for each
tape that has the filenumber on it too.