Amanda-Users

was: Re: Using amrestore - some help needed

2004-01-09 06:56:31
Subject: was: Re: Using amrestore - some help needed
From: "Martin" <ammail AT sebastian DOT nl>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:55:48 +0100
Paul Bijnens wrote:

> One important point is that you need to REWIND the tape before starting
> amrestore, or you need to MANUALLY position the tape to the beginning
> of your backup image using commands like 'mt ... fsf 123'.
> If using amanda 2.4.4 or later you may add "-f 123" to rewind and
> skip forward automatically (using the correct number...)

I've been trying to do a manual restore as well, just in case an
amrecover/amrestore is not possible. Paul, you say that it is possible to
skip over backup images by using the fsf parameter. That's true, but is
there any way of determining WHERE a particular image is stored on tape? I
did a few dd grabs, but the images I get back don't really match any
definable order (disklist, email-output). Is there a way to (quickly) tell
what order the images are in?
Thanks,

Martin