Amanda-Users

Re: tar question

2004-01-09 06:55:38
Subject: Re: tar question
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: s97sa4 <s97sa4 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:52:37 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 at 9:52am, s97sa4 wrote

> Hi
>
> Please can you help!

Please email the list itself (amanda-users AT amanda DOT org) and not members
directly -- you'll get more responses and not annoy people.

> I would like to configure Amanda to use Sun tar rather than gnutar
> to preserve ACL on all files that are backed up.
>
> I was gnutar does not preserve all info for ACL.

I highly doubt Sun's tar is compatible with all the command line options
amanda throws at tar.  If you can (i.e. you are backing up partitions),
use ufsdump instead.  If not, what I do on my Linux systems is run a
script that dumps all the ACLs to a file, from which they can be restored
(getfacl -R on Linux).

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering