Amanda-Users

Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?

2004-01-05 16:12:08
Subject: Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?
From: John Dalbec <jpdalbec AT ysu DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:10:43 -0500

Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:00:34PM -0500, John Dalbec wrote:

Would upgrading to the current version change this?

No, it's a problem with your system configuration, not an amanda bug.

Well, I turned off /etc/hosts caching so that should fix the system problem.
What would I see in the amanda report if the false "localhost" had a process
listening on the port in question? I presume the taper process would still time out.

I may be mind-reading her, but I think JLM meant your "amanda" system
configuration, not your computer system.

s/her/him/ # Jean is a French man's name.

Basically, do not use "localhost" as an entry in your amanda config.

I don't. I was asking whether the dumper and taper processes use "localhost" to talk to one another. They do:
--- dumper.c excerpt ---
            /* connect outf to taper port */

            outfd = stream_client("localhost", taper_port,
                                  DATABUF_SIZE*2, DEFAULT_SIZE, NULL);
--- dumper.c excerpt ---

John