Amanda-Users

Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?

2004-01-05 15:02:24
Subject: Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?
From: John Dalbec <jpdalbec AT ysu DOT edu>
To: "'amanda-users AT amanda DOT org'" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:00:34 -0500

Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:31:18PM -0500, John Dalbec wrote:

It just occurred to me that maybe this is a side effect of /etc/hosts cache poisoning (courtesy of Red Hat Linux 7.3 NSCD). We've been getting e-mail from a netblock in Vietnam that reverse-resolves to "localhost". NSCD caches the reverse lookup and resolves "localhost" to a machine in Vietnam. Does amanda use gethostbyname("localhost") when connecting a dumper to a taper?

Yes

Would upgrading to the current version change this?

No, it's a problem with your system configuration, not an amanda bug.

Well, I turned off /etc/hosts caching so that should fix the system problem.
What would I see in the amanda report if the false "localhost" had a process
listening on the port in question?  I presume the taper process would still time
out.  I probably need to go back through the reports and make sure we didn't
back up everyone's e-mail to someplace in Vietnam.
Thanks,
John

Jean-Louis