Amanda-Users

Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?

2004-01-07 04:40:52
Subject: Re: dump to tape failed - how to diagnose?
From: Georg Rehfeld <georg.rehfeld AT gmx DOT de>
To: John Dalbec <jpdalbec AT ysu DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 10:38:42 +0100
Hi John and all,

John Dalbec wrote:

Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:31:18PM -0500, John Dalbec wrote:

It just occurred to me that maybe this is a side effect of /etc/hosts cache poisoning (courtesy of Red Hat Linux 7.3 NSCD). We've been getting e-mail from a netblock in Vietnam that reverse-resolves to "localhost". NSCD caches the reverse lookup and resolves "localhost" to a machine in Vietnam. Does amanda use gethostbyname("localhost") when connecting a dumper to a taper?

Yes

Would upgrading to the current version change this?

No, it's a problem with your system configuration, not an amanda bug.

Well, I turned off /etc/hosts caching so that should fix the system problem.
What would I see in the amanda report if the false "localhost" had a process
listening on the port in question?  I presume the taper process would still time
out.  I probably need to go back through the reports and make sure we didn't
back up everyone's e-mail to someplace in Vietnam.

No, I don't think so. Your dumper failed _immediately_ (as of your
amdump file you gave me, thanks), so no backup-data was sent to Vietnam
at all.

Don't panic!

The taper timeout error is the least important in this case, the dumper
error is much more interesting. I enhanced amstatus(.cgi) to _collect
all errors_ instead of giving only the last one as of the amdump files.

regards

Georg
--
 ___   ___
| + | |__    Georg Rehfeld      Woltmanstr. 12     20097 Hamburg
|_|_\ |___   georg.rehfeld.nospam AT gmx DOT de    +49 (40) 23 53 27 10