Amanda-Users

amanda.conf error

2004-01-05 15:58:12
Subject: amanda.conf error
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, Chris Knight <knight AT sodor.wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 15:55:19 -0500 (EST)
We are running amanda 2.4.2p2 on Solaris 8.

Rather than cutting and pasting our usual (which in vi requires
a joint and removal of white space (at least at 80 columns))

columnspec
"HostName=0:7,Disk=1:14,OrigKB=1:9,OutKB=1:9,DumpRate=1:6,TapeRate=1:6"

I entered

columnspec "HostName=0:10,TapeRate1:8"

'cause, ya know, most of the columns are really fine.

Of course I should have entered

columnspec "HostName=0:10,TapeRate=1:8"

a subtle yet important difference as we stopped receiving amdump
reports, though amcheck reports (we run with -m from cron) continued
to arrive.

I eventually went hunting and found that the amdump script calls
amreport, which I invoked manually and saw it fail on the columnspec
error.

Is there any way to "proof" the parameters ?

Can something be written as a contingency so that the failure
is less severe ? Perhaps even an "amreport called by amdump reports
the following output text" kind of thing ?

Maybe its all moot with a newer version of amanda (with a dozen amanda
servers on multiple OS platforms its hard to keep in sync, especially
when some systems are required to remain static).

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org