Amanda-Users

Re: Turn off Card Termination WAS: tar: Error is not rec...

2003-12-03 15:56:41
Subject: Re: Turn off Card Termination WAS: tar: Error is not rec...
From: Josiah Ritchie <jritchie AT bible DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:59:46 -0500
Josiah Ritchie scripted ::

>So I need termination at both ends, The cable I have only fits the tape drive
>only fits backwards of it's labels. Meaning the end labeled to plug into the
>card fits the wide connector on the tape drive and the other end fits the thin
>connector from the AHA-2940/AIC-7871 card. So I confirmed the drive is set to
>terminate and the card terminates and then the length of cable on the other
>side of the card also has a terminator. Can I turn off termination on the card
>somehow or is it safe to chop off the terminator on the end of the cable
>opposite the drive? I suppose I should just buy another cable, but I'm pinching
>pennies hard here.
>
>I'd prefer to turn off the cards termination, but if I need to cut the cable
>I'm OK with that.

Cancel that, I need a good knock in the noggin. When I sat down and re-examined
the cable I realized that the wide connector simply had an adapter on it. I
should be able to swap jumpers on the tape drive to turn off termination there
and then flip the cable (minus the adapter) and I'll be set.

Thanks guys,
Josiah